Injury or Illness

What to do if you are injured at work or exposed to something potentially infectious

Seek medical treatment as soon as possible!  University employees may choose to go to the nearest Emergency Department or a medical provider of their own choice, but we do recommend the nearest HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine (HPOEM) location. If planning to visit HPOEM, it is recommended that you call ahead at (952) 883-6999 to reduce wait times. If you cannot get through to HPOEM by phone, proceed directly to the clinic. If you are located outside of the Twin Cities, find clinic information on our Clinical Services page.

Outside of normal business hours, please visit the nearest Emergency Department.

When you arrive at the clinic: mention that your visit is in connection with a work-related incident.

Information on applying immediate first aid when the incident involves something potentially infectious can be found on the Accidental or Potential Exposure page. 

Notice: The HealthPartners Riverside clinic has permanently closed. Occupational health services are available at the following locations:

Park Nicollet Minneapolis Clinic - 2001 Blaisdell Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55404
HealthPartners St. Paul Clinic - 205 Wabasha Street South, Saint Paul, MN 55107 
HealthPartners West Occupational Medicine Clinic - 1665 Utica Avenue S., St. Louis Park, MN 55416  
Stillwater Medical Group (Fit Testing Currently NOT Available) - 1500 Curve Crest Blvd, Stillwater, MN, 55082  

Report Your Incident

Employees must report work-related injuries/illnesses as soon as possible to their supervisor and complete the electronic University of Minnesota First Report of Injury Form (E-FROI) online within 8 business hours after injury. This is required to ensure appropriate follow-up and eligibility for Workers Compensation coverage.

If exposure has occurred during work on an Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) protocol, an Incident Report Form must be submitted to the IBC.

For additional information on reporting Workers Compensation Related Injuries, see Human Resources' Workers Compensation Policy.