UMEMS provides a variety of education programs for students, faculty, staff and members of the public. These courses range from simple AED training and hands-only CPR to Emergency Medical Technician courses and professional EMS continuing education. You will find additional course information and registration links below.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us for custom emergency medical education/first aid training options at [email protected].
Emergency Medical Technician: Initial Course
You can register for the course by visiting the enrollment page for UMEMS X1000 - Initial Emergency Medical Technician.
This class is designed to prepare you for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician following DOT and National Registry guidelines.
Additional information to know about the EMT Program here at the University:
- The course is offered solely through the Department of Emergency Management/UMEMS and is a non-credit course.
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept financial aid for the course (scholarships, grants, GI Bill, etc.), as it is a non-credit program. Payment is made by credit card through the online registration portal. Currently we do not have a delayed payment program available.If you must pay be check, contact UMEMS for assistance at [email protected].
- You must attend all classes, clinical rotations and pass the written and practical exams with an 80% to be eligible to sit for the National Registry Exam. Successful completion of this will certify you as a State of Minnesota EMT and NREMT.
- The cost of the course is: $1,700.00. This cost includes tuition, current textbook, access to required online learning/internal testing, and the state psychomotor examination. The National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) will require additional fees for the cognitive exam and certification.
- American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification will be provided as part of the class. If you are already certified as a BLS provider through the AHA or CPR for the professional rescuer through the American Red Cross, you will be excused from those sessions.
In order to successfully complete the EMT course, all candidates must also complete the following online courses through the FEMA Emergency Management Institute. These courses are free and can be completed online. Ideally, candidates will complete this training prior to the first day of class, but it must be completed before the final exam. Completion certificates should be printed and brought to class on day 1.
- IS-100.C, Introduction to the Incident Command System, ICS100
- IS-700.B: An Introduction to the National Incident Management System
- IS-5.A: An Introduction to Hazardous Materials
For further information, or to register for an available EMT course, the enrollment page for UMEMS X1000 - Initial Emergency Medical Technician.
EMT Refresher Course
UMEMS offers a 20-hour NREMT National Continued Competency Program (NCCP) course periodically each year. This course meets or exceeds the NCCP requirements of the National Registry of EMTs. For more information or to register for a class, visit the course registration page.
Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
UMEMS is licensed to provide training for initial and refreshing Emergency Medical Responders. If your group is in need of certification or refresher education, please contact UMEMS at [email protected] to discuss a custom group course.
BLS Provider, HeartSaver and CPR
UMEMS Currently offers AHA BLS Provider, AHA HeartSaver and Hands-Only CPR/AED Review on request for groups. Please contact us at [email protected] for more information or to schedule a program for your group.
Custom Emergency Medical/First Aid Education
UMEMS can provide custom basic EMS/First aid education for your department or group. Contact UMEMS to work on developing a course that meets your needs.
UMEMS provides external and internal courses in many areas. External courses are open to the public, while internal courses are open to UMEMS members only. Courses are offered on an as-needed basis.
For more information on current course offerings and availability, contact UMEMS at 612-625-8047 or via email [email protected].
Below is a list of classes UMEMS offers:
|CPR for the Healthcare Professional||Yes||Yes|
|Heartsaver CPR & AED||Yes||Yes|
|HeartStart AED Use||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Initial||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Refresher||Yes||Yes|
For groups interested in an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) course or refresher, please contact [email protected].